Stickats

Work has begun for our first assignment, with meetings and code-sprints lasting from the early evenings all the way through the night.

Our first few meetings this week were spent brainstorming for ideas as well as planning out the project. There were many important decisions we had to make — decisions that would greatly impact our project and how we would approach it.

Logo Brainstorming on Paper
Logo Brainstorming on Paper

Back-end Framework

As of now, our team has decided to go ahead with Django. The interesting thing about this decision is the fact that all of us has never ever done any development on any Python frameworks before. A few of the team has experience with Ruby on Rails, and others with PHP and NodeJS — but just not with Python. We came to this decision as we wanted to learn something new, and thought Django would be a good framework to learn.

Front-end Framework

Another decision we made as a team was to completely separate our front-end and back-end implementation. We made that decision to cater for future extensions, so should we decide to come up with a native app in future, we can build on the RESTful APIs that the server exposes.

Because of the nature of our project, we wanted a single-page webapp. Hence we chose to use AngularJS as our front-end framework.

UI Framework

We had three options — no UI framework (style everything from ground-up), Bootstrap or Foundation. We thought that having a base to start off with was a good idea, especially since we wanted to build a mobile-first responsive webapp. Both Bootstrap and Foundation provides a grid to work with, and both has all the basic components styled. While Bootstrap is good because it does a large part of the design for you, the trade-off is the loss in customisability. I realised that however much you try to customise a site built with Bootstrap, the “Bootstrap look” somehow remains with your product at the end. As such, we decided to go with Foundation for the UI framework.

My role in the team (as of now) leans more towards front-end development. As such, I haven’t really worked on any python code yet. However, working on the front-end, I have already started facing several problems.

Challenges

One problem I faced was nesting views in template files. After reading through lots of documentation, I realised that AngularJS does not actually support nested views out-of-the-box. However, they had a new project (ui-router) what would do just that. After reading some documentations (and lots of Stack Overflow answers), and many more hours of trying, I finally got nested views working properly!

Another challenge surfaced when some of my project-mates tried to clone the repo and build the project but failed. We found out that Compass Sass was producing different results probably because we had different versions of Compass installed. As of now, we’re still in the midst of figuring out why this may be the case, and our Stack Overflow question has been quiet with no responses.